Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The King of Craft Beer






I was working at a mom and pop pizza place in the southwest side of the city in the summer of ‘09. Like most pizza joints this one closed really late and I was usually stuck there all weekend long working more than living. On a Saturday night in June, the boss came over to me and said, “Go home man, you work too hard.” Didn’t have to tell me twice. I was out there so fast I almost forgot to take off my apron. Got my bag and jumped on my bike and rode off.


 I rode a couple of blocks down to my best friends house. He was at his neighbor’s house and they invited me over. They were really cool people, particularly one guy who showed us around his apartment. He went to the fridge got a couple of beers and popped them open. He handed one to me and said, “Here you go man, drink this.” It was the King.


I had no idea what I was getting myself into but here I was sitting down with the King in my hands. I looked at the label and was so confused. I had never seen anything like it. The aroma was bursting its way out of the bottle. I could smell it without holding it up to my nose. It was a really strong but good scent. Looked around feeling a bit uncomfortable about what I was about to do and thought to myself “Well here goes…” Took a big gulp and was blown away. What the hell was this? It was extremely bitter for my palate at the time but it was also extremely satisfying. I met the King on this day and thanks to the generosity of that man, I made my way into the world of Craft Beer.




No comments:

Post a Comment