Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Think Outside the Bottle


In a conversation I had with a couple of friends over some beers, we talked about how sometimes we find a beer and for a while we make it a "go to beer." We all agreed with this. Which made me think about how sometimes we find something we like and we tend to go back to it. 

I found myself sometimes walking into a bottle shop and being overwhelmed with the endless amount of craft beer they have so I choose to play it safe. There is a huge variety of beer out there on the market now. As I walk through aisle after aisle full of craft beer in different shapes, colors, and sizes trying to find what to buy, I end up picking up a six of something I had already tried multiple times. It's great beer but it's the same old taste on your palate. I forget about what this whole thing was about. Exploring. It's a great to buy a beer you have no knowledge of and you end up really enjoying it. That first experience is kind of magical. 


It’s not so nice when you buy a beer and you end up disliking it. But that’s part of the experience. You drink and you learn….

This past Thursday I visited one of my best friends, a very talented artist who also loves craft beer. We conversed and caught up on some things. Talked business. He brought out a bottle of Hey, Careful Man, There's a Beverage Here! by Pipeworks Brewing Co. Its a white Russian imperial milk stout. White Stout? What is this? It didn't pour out white, which would have been a bit weird, but it didn't pour out dark either. It was in between. Very enjoyable. Extremely enjoyable.

I buy something completely different now every time I go to a bar or a bottle shop. Its been working quite nicely. I’ve bought some great tasting and very enjoyable beer. I now look forward to walking into a bar and not knowing anything on their menu. I just pick one. It’s a nice surprise. Walking into your local bottle shop and picking out a bomber with your eyes closed. Just take it and share it. Appreciate the craft behind the beer. Share it with your craft beer loving friends.



Think Outside the Bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment